That's a song by The Beatles, its also sort of the truth.
I love books. I collect them. I hoard them. My nightstand is always the leaning tower of bookage. My office shelves are overflowing with books on every subject imaginable. I walk into a bookstore and I literally have to restrain myself from buying everything in sight. Its a sickness, really.
As a child I wanted to be a librarian. There was just something about the library and it's walls of books, and hushed tones that made me nearly dizzy with excitement. Then I discovered boys, and well, that was the end of the library.
But back to the point. I love books. There are certain books I read yearly. Yes, I actually do this. I will admit not everything I read is all 'hoity-toity' literary works. I like a good piece of Chick Lit or a romance novel as much as the next average Joe. For me its all about the story and the characters. If I don't connect deep down, I'm not interested in reading it again (I will still stick it on a shelf in my office, but the odds of my looking at it again are slim).
So I thought I would share some of my 'yearly reads'.
I'm going to start with the lighter stuff... I love me a good romance novel. I'm a romantic at heart, and there are some really good writers out there writing some really good stories in the form of romance novels (and hey, if you you don't like that sort of stuff, just skip the sex scenes). One of my faves is by Jennifer Crusie she has a lot of great books (plus she is a total Buffy fan, so right there she gets extra points - wait, there are no points. never mind). My absolute favourite of her books is Bet Me. Jenny says a lot of interesting things about it here, but I would suggest reading the book first then going back and reading what Jenny said.
Another one of my fave writers in the romance/comedy vein is Rachel Gibson, I'm not a huge fan of her most recent work (sorry, Ms Gibson!), but I really do love Simply Irresistible and Truly, Madly Yours.
Another book I read every year is Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel. I was in Israel about 10 years ago, and this books brings everything about that country back to me so vividly, I feel like I will look up and find myself in Tel Aviv. Truly a beautiful story. Make sure you have a box of tissues handy.
I'll end part 1 here. More coming tomorrow. :) (plus I might actually touch on my wanting to write a book - you can never tell!).
July 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment