June 18, 2008

On the job front...

I haven't heard anything, yet. Although, since it will be a week tomorrow, I'm thinking that I'm about to get a 'thanks, but no thanks' letter on the whole new job front.

But I'm trying to stay positive, or at least not let myself wallow. I mean, it was my first interview in 12 years (and I did my absolute best - and I think they did like me, I just didn't have quite the right policy background for the job, so I don't really blame them for not picking me), it would have been positively wild had I aced it and gotten the job.

But alas, I feel it is not to be.

And I'm okay with it. Really, I actually am. Well okay, I'm a little upset. But I'm trying hard not to be, because, I have a plan. Or at least I have 4 plans. I'm calling them my 'career streams'. They are as follows:

1. Talk to my current boss about adapting my existing job into my dream job.
2. Continuing applying for things that interest me, emailing out resumes is free and relatively easy.
3. Get more involved in the ongoing process to upgrade my current classification's pay scale.
4. Get pregnant earlier than planned, go on Mat Leave for a year and re-group on the career front when I'm back at work.

I've already got a meeting next week with my current boss to talk about adapting my existing job, so that's #1 started. I've found two opportunities that I can apply for, I just need to send them in, so there's #2. I've got two meetings next week about the classification thing, so I'm going to really push that one (there be #3). And I've talked to my husband about #4, and we need to get our finances more organized (and we probably would have a year to do that before I went on Mat Leave), but he said if I wanted to start trying sooner rather than later for Baby2 he's cool with it (I think he assumed it would be all sex all the time, but hey whatever it takes, right!?!?). But I think I will leave #4 in a holding pattern for the time being.

As of 4:30 this afternoon, I will be writing off the job I interviewed for as "I didn't get it", and moving forward with my above plans. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I am sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but the interview was good practise! And you have plans - things always happen for a reason...
I like the baby making plan myself!!!

Unknown said...

It's government, no? I also had the "we'll make a decision by the end of next week" and got a call on the Wed following the end of "next" week, if you catch my drift. ANYWAY. Just remember, gov's slow, and hey, shit happens.

That said, if you don't get it, all 4 streams sound good - I too am fond of your plan 4 as well. You guys make cute kids!

Leslie said...

Did you happen to still get a call?? Hoping for you, that you did...

either way, you could practice for plan 4.. just to cheer yourself up.

Janet said...

sounds like you have a few good options. Finding a new job is HARD (just went through it myself) and I wish you luck!