I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but we live on an acreage. We have 2.5 acres of wide open (okay, so it's really long and fairly narrow) space to call our very own. And we love it. I didn't think that I would, but I honestly can't imagine living anywhere else (even with the price of gas and how much it costs me to drive to and from work every day). It's soooooooo purdy!!
One of the things that I really love about having all that space is I get to have not only as many flowerbeds as a person could ever want, but I can grow veggies!! Yes, I can grow things to feed my family. Last year, I made copious amounts of baby food for NatNat all using fresh veggies from Mommy's garden.
This year, I guess with being back at work and all the other fun stuff going along with having a constantly-in-motion-toddler vs a stay-where-you-put-them-baby, I haven't felt very motivated to even think about it, let alone plant anything. And while I knew it was getting to be that time of year, I really hadn't done a thing about it.
Flash forward to Friday night, our lovely neighbour (he's this funny old guy who's mother used to own the land our house sits on, plus, apparently half the others acreages on the road. And I think he sometimes forget he longer owns it because he's always driving eveywhere on his lawn tractor 'just checking things out'. He's like our personal security guard.). Anyway, he comes over to tell me he's roto-tilled my garden 'because he knew I would be planting that night since it was going to rain on Saturday'. Um... say what?
So I scrambled, made a few shopping trips for seeds and plants, and actually got everything into the ground during NatNat's perfectly timed, extra long nap on Saturday afternoon. I still need a few things, but basically, I am done! And what do you know, the old dude was right, it rained Saturday night and most of Sunday.
I was feeling pretty proud of myself, and then yesterday was cold and miserable... and they were forecasting frost over night. I was all for just winging it after all it's May (no frost in May!), but Cory was determined and everything got covered or moved so that all my hard work wouldn't be wasted, and I helped even if I did think he was being nuts. Its May people, May).
This morning there was Frost. In May.
May 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I would LOVE to have a veggie garden!!!! You are one lucky girl, even if it did frost in May....
Post a Comment