March 10, 2008

Rub on the tub...


If you had a massive two-person Jacuzzi tub in your bedroom, what would you do with it?

I ask this question frequently, because I actually do have a two-person tub in my bedroom. No, we didn't put it there. The people who built the house put it there. We are the third owners of our place, and I can't say I'm a huge fan of the tub.

I'm not a 'soak in the tub' kind of girl. I've never been that interested in stewing in my own filth (thank you, Chandler Bing). I like a good, hot shower, for like 20 minutes (I know, I know - the water! the waste! - seriously, I know).

Okay so back to the massive tub... we've used it exactly three times - which makes for a once a year since we've lived there average. But what to do with it? Its using up valuable space in our bedroom as the world's largest clothes hamper. Because of the placement of said tub, we actually have a number of options of what we could do with it (aside from use it - that sucker is coming out!).

Option a) turn it into a second walk-in closet. This was our original plan for the space, until we move into the house and realized that the existing walk-in closet is large enough to hold a dinner party for 6. While I'm the original believer in the fact that you can never have enough closet space, I actually think in this case, we might.

option b) turn it into a 'reading nook' off our bedroom. Buy a comfy chair (someplace to throw the clothes that are in the tub), put up some shelves, get a nice light, and just use it as more 'space' in our room. I don't really have any arguments against this idea since its what *I* think we should do with it.

and finally, option c) use the already existing plumbing and move the laundry room upstairs from the main floor. We'd have to wall off that space, and make an opening from the landing (through the linen closet), but it could be done. Plus let's face it, as my husband frequently points out, where do you make the most laundry? Bedrooms/bathrooms, so really having the laundry right next to them is actually not a bad idea. Then we could turn the existing laundry room into a mud room, and we wouldn't be tripping over shoes while trying to do the wash.

We are probably a year out from doing this anyway.... but I waffle.... 'cause do I want it to be all about me (i.e. reading nook) or something that will actually benefit our whole family? Dern responsible adult thing will probably win out. *sigh*.

For my next post, I think I will explain the blog title. maybe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I'd love to have a reading nook in my room (or your room, if it were mine), but a laundry room would make a TON of sense. Esp. since you already have plumbing in there. Then you could turn your current laundry room into a reading nook of sorts.